The Fly Facility can provide Cambridge fly groups with many kinds of fly media in a variety of containers. Fly media ordered before midday will normally be available in the afternoon of the following weekday. Media is delivered to the Genetics Fly Lab (115) unless otherwise requested.
- (Raven password required)
Fly Food Delivery Service
Starting August 2015, we have implemented a weekly Fly Food delivery service for Drosophila groups in the Cambridge area. Each Wednesday afternoon we will deliver food to various Cambridge sites according to demand. If you are interested in using this service please contact Simon Collier to discuss your requirements and our delivery options. To be sure of Wednesday delivery, groups will need to submit their orders by Friday of the previous week. They will need to indicate that they require delivery in the 'Comments' section of the media website each time they order fly food.
How to register as a Fly Food User
To order fly food through our website, you will need to be registered as a fly food user. To be registered, please contact Simon Collier (firstname.lastname@example.org) and provide your CRSid and the name of the Group Leader (or other individual) who will be charged for the media.
If you are in the Cambridge area, but are not part of Cambridge University (and so do not have a CRSid), we can usually arrange for you to contact our media room directly with your orders. Please contact Simon Collier (email@example.com) to discuss this.
How to order Fly Food
- Select your research group name from the first drop-down menu
- Select the type of food you want (cornmeal, yeast-glucose etc.) from the 'Media' drop-down menu
- Select the type of container you want (bottles, vials, plates) from the "Container' drop-down menu
- Type the amount you want in the 'Quantity' box - this must be a decimal number (e.g. 1.2, 0.5). For trays of media, type the number of whole and part trays you need (e.g. 0.2, 3.5). For plates, type the number of plates you need (this must be a whole number)
- Add any additional information in the 'Comments' box. This might include, for example, additional instructions for food preparation (e.g. 'no added yeast') or a request for delivery to a different place. Please include this information in your request even if you have discussed these changes with us beforehand.
- Choose your preferred delivery date for the 'Deliver On' box (click the [Cal] icon to select). The default date is the earliest possible delivery date.
- Click the 'add' button. There will be a period of time when you will still be able to withdraw/cancel your order if needed
Types of fly food available
Please note: we can normally accommodate requests for alternate fly foods where a detailed recipe is supplied.
- Cornmeal, yeast, glucose, agar, water, Nipagin
- Our standard food suitable for most Drosophila stocks
- Malt extract, molasses, cornmeal, yeast, agar, soya powder, water, Propionic acid, Nipagin
- A more nutritious food for difficult-to-grow stocks and some non-melanogaster species
Yeast Glucose food:
- Yeast, glucose, agar, water, Nipagin
- Highly nutritious food for growing fat larvae for larval preps.
Opuntia banana food
- Banana, yeast, molasses, malt extra, agar, opuntia powder, water, Nipagin
- For culturing Drosophila pseudoobscura
- Semolina, yeast, malt extra, agar, water, propionic acid, Nipagin
- For some non-melanogaster species (including affinis, ambigua, americana, bocqueti, buzzati, erecta, flavomontana, guanche, immigrans, lacicola, lummei, montana, orena, persimilis, pseudoobscura, repleta)
Grape Juice Agar:
- Red grape juice concentrate, agar, glucose ,water, Nipagin
- For embryo collections
Apple Juice Agar 1:
- Apple juice concentrate, agar, glucose, water, Nipagin
- For embryo collections
Apple Juice Agar 2:
- Apple juice, agar, dried active yeast, glucose, water, Nipagin
- For population cage collections
Tubes and Bottles
We provide fly food by the tray or part tray; one tray holds 150 tubes (large glass, small glass or plastic), 20 bottles or 7 Kilner jars. Tubes/bottles can be ordered plugged or unplugged.
- Note: To order Kilner jars, select ‘bottles’ on the media website and specify ‘Kilner’ in the comment column.
We provide plates of media, either '50mm', '90mm' or 'chip plates' (for Cage Room collections). Plates are ordered by ‘quantity’ not by ‘tray’ on our media website.
- Note: To order Chip Plates, select ‘90mm plates’ on the media website and specify ‘Chip Plates’ in the comments column.